Jenny's Reviews > My Two-Year-Old Eats Octopus: Raising Children Who Love to Eat Everything

My Two-Year-Old Eats Octopus by Nancy Tringali Piho

Mar 09, 13

bookshelves: food

I had high hopes for this book. Such a cute idea--such a cute cover. But it just sort of falls short. Very light on usable information or tips and sometimes felt judgey about anything you might be doing. For example, if you have fed your child jarred baby food there is page after page of listing how bad that is and then a few lines like "Is it really so hard to steam some veggies and blend them?" Compared to opening a jar? Well, it's not hard but yes, it is more time consuming. And then when it talks about family meal time and how important it is, the advice is something like "Can't you rearrange your child's schedule to fit this in?" What like put them to bed at 10? Or when you're on road trips, you CAN stop for fast food but it's far healthier to stop by a roadside fruit stand. Don't get me wrong. It's good information that she discusses and the studies are all correct. But it all left me feeling really hopeless about food and nutrition. And I just don't think a book should make you feel that way. We've all had a conversation or two with a fellow parent who wrinkles his/her nose and says "Oh you feed your child JUICE? My child only drinks water or milk." Well, bully for you. That's what this book felt like. A long conversation with one of those friends.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Two-Year-Old Eats Octopus.

Anna Lawrence Wow, did you even read this book? It's NOTHING BUT great tips and ideas on how to get your kids to eat better. Of course, the obvious truth is not what a lot of parents necessarily want to hear .... like maybe you actually have to take some time to think about what your kids are eating and how/ what you provide for them! I didn't find it "judgey" at all... just a lot of things to think about in terms of how expectations have changed on what children will and should be eating. Hopeless it is not. In fact, the opposite. It left me feeling empowered and like I am making a difference in my kids' lives, when I insist that they eat better food than most of their friends do. Great read/ gift for parents, particularly of young (0 - 4) children.

Jenny I did read it--cover to cover. Just didn't like it very much as some of the other kids nutrition books I've read (like Baby Bites, liked that one much better). I'm glad you did a review though, it's good for people visiting the site to see both viewpoints with full reviews.