Lin's Reviews > Black Sun Rising

Aug 21, 10

bookshelves: 2010, series-firsts, could-not-finish, fantasy, sci-fi
Recommended for: nobody
Read from June 04 to August 23, 2010

Read 285 pages - unfinished.
I had to add a whole new goodreads-shelf for this book - the 'could not finish' shelf. Normally if i'm not enjoying a book i either put it down for a while to come back to or slog on through. This one i know i'm not coming back to. Its not that its bad, because bad books often come out the other side as 'so bad it was actually readable'.
Its because I could not bring myself to care about anything in this book - the characters, the world, their journey. I just couldn't care. Normally even if i'm not enjoying something it will bug me enough to find out how it ends, but this- nothing, complete apathy. (I was at work with nothing to do but wait for someone to come in and read. But i couldn't bring myself to read this and instead read the posters on the wall time and time again!)
It feels completely lifeless, the characters are hollow shells that won't be named for pages at a time. Whole sections go by that i had no idea who was speaking or whose point of view it was from... and i couldn't bring myself to care to find out.
Tarrant briefly interested me slightly, but even his meager charms died as the book moved into its third section.
285 is a lot of book to read to give up, but reading should be something you want to do and i can't make myself pick this up again, which is a shame because on the surface i should have loved this - an epic fantasy infused with sci-fi and the fae
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Sun Rising.

07/28/2010 page 39
08/22/2010 page 111
21.0% "First part done, so tempted to give up again, slogging through painfully. Are there actually any characters in this?"
08/23/2010 page 285
53.0% "Really struggling with this :-( I am just so apathetic to everything in this book"