Grace's Reviews > The Deed of Paksenarrion

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon

Oct 31, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, military
Read in January, 1995

Elizabeth Moon writes some kickass female characters. And this is the first woman character I ever encountered who was a no-nonsense, practical soldier who operated in a military story without any weird little feminine flairs. Too often writers feel the need to feminize their soldiers, or introduce some sort of stereotypical "women's issue"-driven plot. With Moon, that doesn't happen. She just tells a kickass story where the lead is a woman, and deals with things as they come.

Moon herself was part of the Marine corps, and that clearly lends the book authenticity. All I can say is that for a teenage girl, this book was a beacon that signaled that the way I thought and felt and got irked at other books was okay -- and that books could be written where instead of questioning the authenticity of a female character, I could identify and cheer her on.

So that's it, really. If you've been reading books about female warriors and they've sent your eyebrows into your hairline, give Paksenarrion a try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Deed of Paksenarrion.