Ash's Reviews > Prom Nights from Hell

Prom Nights from Hell by Meg Cabot

Oct 31, 09

Read in October, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I decided that due to the fact that two of the author's I had read and enjoyed at least one of their books prior to opening this book (Stephenie Meyer - The Host and Meg Cabot - Jinx)- that I had to read this. I must say it was rather disapointing overall, only two of the stories had the plot structure to be able to stand alone in such a small short story, those being: The Corsage and The Exterminator's Daughter. The other's realisitcally would have been better if only they were longer and the plot had more time to develop. Each has been individually reviewed below:

The Exterminator's Daughter - Meg Cabot: This story served as the perfect opening to this book, it was fast paced and different from any other book I have ever read making it captivating and interesting, I particularly loved Cabot's take on the vampire legend, which each author tends to make their own, that of which she has done and to her credit done well. This would be my pick for my favorite story of the entire book.

The Corsage - Lauren Myracle - I loved this! Scary and frightening I could almost feel the narrator's shock when she made her final wish, shock that was enough to keep me thinking of this story well and truly after I had put down the book for the night. It's not very often that you find a story like this but it was certainly well worth the read.

Maddison Avery and the Dim Reaper - Kim Harrison: Perhaps the reason I could not relate to this story is I never went to a prom. I never experienced for myself what it means to be involved in such a thing, however still I never had any other issues reading stories involving proms. This may have been a bit of a stretch for me to read unfortunatly. To it's credit it was well written and the author has used a wonderful idea yet the relationships seemed unrealistic to me, which ruined what could have been a perfect story.

Kiss and Tell - Michelle Jaffe: I didn't understand this story at all. I really could not understand the young girls obsession with kissing random strangers and that made the story incredibly difficult to relate to, I know it was part of the storyline it just seemed rather unnessecary, however the story was the longest of all five and the plot progressed which overall made it an enjoyable read.

Hell On Earth - Stephenie Meyer: Personally I found this the most strange of the five stories, it had potential but it seemed rushed as though a potentially brilliant plot was squashed into a story too big for what it could have been. If this were ever to be extended beyond just a prom story I would certainly want to read it, the writing was interesting and exciting but the story just didn't flow as nicely as I had hoped.

Overall, it is worth hiring from a library for a read, all the stories a worthy of a read in their own way and each author has fitted the prom theme into their work wonderfully, although I did not enjoy all the stories I found them readable and each had it's moments.

2 Stars.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prom Nights from Hell.