Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Sparrow

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Jan 21, 11

bookshelves: science-fiction

A good book at times even a painful book. I bounced between 3 and 4 stars a few times. This is a read to enter into advisedly. It is painful, but the story is good.

I could actually call it beautiful at times, beautiful, challenging, thought provoking, and of course, painful. It is as I said hard to rate. close to 3 but at times almost a 5...so 4.

No more or I'll give a spoiler (or more than one). Don't look for a space opera here. Look for a deep and thoughtful story asking questions that may or may not be worth considering, that may or may not be comfortable.

Christians (espically Roman Catholic Christians) will see that the writer is attempting to address Christian topics here in a science fiction setting. I'll leave it to you how well it's done.
15 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sparrow.

03/30 marked as: read

message 1: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie I think I'd like to read this. Thanks, Mike.

Carmen Great review, Mike.

Mike (the Paladin) Thanks. It's an unusual book.

Kamilah Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Thanks. It's an unusual book."

Mike have you read "Children of God" part two of the series? If so, what did you think of that?

message 5: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Apr 03, 2015 03:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mike (the Paladin) Yes. I'd say this one is better but then a sequel always has a more difficult time when dealing with a serious topic. I like them both.