Valerie's Reviews > Watch Over Me

Watch Over Me by Christa Parrish

Nov 16, 09

bookshelves: for-book-reviews
Read in November, 2009

Watch Over Me, by Christa Parrish is my first book by Christa Parrish. Her style of writing is easy and captivating.

Abbi and Benjamin have been struggling in their marriage since he returned from his military tour to Afganistan. Back in South Dakota, where he is a deputy, he finds a newborn baby girl in a field while carrying out regular duties. He saves the baby and starts visiting her in the hospital every day. When a foster home is needed for the baby, Abbi and Ben step forward.

Ben has shut Abbi out and there is little remaining in their relationship. Abbi finds less and less reason to stay in their rocky marriage.

The story is riddled with unfolding subplots: Matthew, a deaf and mute math genius needs a new kidney; He lives with his dysfunctional aunt and her four daughters; Abbi is bulimic; Abbi's best friend shut her out when her husband was killed in Afganistan; The on-going investigation of who left the baby to die in a field dominates Ben's thoughts, along with his Afganistan experience; Abbi and Ben's less-than-satisfactory church experience. There were many flesh and blood messy characters.

I appreciated the realism of the book. I liked that it wasn't the story-book ending. Life is not filled with fairy-tale endings, and I was afraid this book would disappoint me with a happily-ever-after conclusion. It did not. But it had a conquering ending. It was a realistic ending and one where the characters were continuing to grow and overcome.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Watch Over Me.