Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > A Christmas Carol

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

Dec 08, 13

bookshelves: favorites, classics

While I don't hold 100% with the theology (nor disagree either) I love this book...for that matter I love at least one of the movies (the Alastair Sim version titled Scrooge). While the entire story is wonderful the redemption/repentance scenes alone are worth the "freight", so to speak.

The story is undoubtedly familiar to you but give it a read if you've only been exposed to it through movies. I think everyone probably re-looks at Christmas and life at the same time they experience it with Scrooge. While I wouldn't call myself a Dickens fan this is one of his best efforts (that's my opinion for what it's worth).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Christmas Carol.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Scott IMHO Dickens is the greatest pure writer who ever lived. I recommend A Christmas Carol to people who might not otherwise read his other work - it's a familiar story and MUCH shorter than his other books.

Mike (the Paladin) I've read that Dickens' got tired of people wanting it at his public readings. Sort of the price of success.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Fisher I totally agree with your assessment of this one. Dickens is hard to read but this story is at least palatable. The only other one of his I truly like is Oliver Twist.