Jess's Reviews > The House of the Scorpion

Nov 15, 09

bookshelves: fiction, young-adult, science-fiction
Recommended for: Fans of YA, dystopia, Margaret Atwood
Read in November, 2009, read count: 1

After hearing good things about this book from a friend, I decided to give it a try. Now, I'm not much for science fiction, so I was surprised that I enjoyed this book so much. This book is more dystopian than science fiction, which is probably why I loved it. Farmer paints a feasible and slightly disconcerting picture of North America a ways down the road from now. This novel actually was difficult to read for me in a few places--not for language or anything, but because of the subject matter. Farmer presented an excellent moral question to her readers regarding the humanity of clones and their treatment. Granted, we haven't cloned humans yet, but the situation that Farmer creates is not so farfetched that it is unbelievable. On the contrary, it is not difficult to imagine humans down the road wanting to clone for organ harvest. But clones aren't just clones--they're humans too, which raises the interesting moral questions that Farmer touched upon. Matt's treatment at times was heartwrenching to read, but to me that just proved that Farmer knows how to write. This novel had a bit of a slow start for me, if only because the beginning was difficult to read. After that, the novel was an absolute page-turner for me. The only thing that bothered about the novel was the whole Lost Boys plot towards the end. I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed very jarring. It all arose out of seemingly nowhere, and it seemed as though Farmer just threw it in there for the hell of it. Not that it was particularly bad, but it just didn't seem to go with the way the rest of the novel had been going. Overall, though, this novel was the best YA novel I've read in a long time--since A Northern Light actually. I'd highly recommend to fans of YA or fans of dystopic novels.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of the Scorpion.

10/31/2009 page 25
6.58% "Hmm, interesting. I'm curious to see where this will go."
11/02/2009 page 75
19.74% "This is a little difficult to read, if only because it has very dark and cruel undertones."
11/12/2009 page 269
70.79% "This is such a good sci-fi YA novel. This book is working its way to becoming one of my favorites!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa My son read this and really enjoyed it. I think it's still on his shelves; maybe I need to pick it up for something different to read!