Lin's Reviews > Jingo

Jingo by Terry Pratchett

Oct 30, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, discworld, disc-watch, 2010
Read in January, 1998

Probably the worst (least-best?) of the watch books (oh that sounds like blasphemy!) but still completely brilliant (save).

"Good morning, gentlemen! May i persuade you to surrender"

Ankh-Morpork goes to war. Why? Well there's the humdinger and Vimes is going to find out, because after all isn't war just one big crime? So divide the trouser legs of time and Sam Vimes goes hurtling off towards Klatch (shame his disorganiser gets lost down the other leg).
Of course he's got Captain Carrot in tow, who decides a football match would be much more suitable (Even if he does have to send 473 men off.)
Meanwhile Colon and Nobby try to blend in and Nobby finds feminine wiles.

"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jingo.

Quotes Lin Liked

Terry Pratchett
“It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.”
Terry Pratchett, Jingo