Laura de Leon's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

2013736
Dec 27, 09

bookshelves: review-copy, memoir, lm-book-club
Read in November, 2009

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress was a fun read.

I found it an interesting story. Rhoda had an eventful life, and I enjoyed hearing about it.

I loved her relationship with her sister and with her mother. Her mother was an interesting balance of open mindedness and of what we expect a Mennonite to be. It was clear that Rhoda and her mother loved each other even while living very different lives. Rhoda and her sister both left the Mennonite way of life, but they ended up living differently from one another as well.

I wasn't so thrilled with her husband, but I wasn't supposed to be. I wish the relationship had been a little less extreme, but I suspect the author wished the same thing.

The book jumped between the various stages of Rhoda's life. This helped build the picture of the woman that Rhoda became.

Mostly, I enjoyed Mennonite because it was well written and funny. The anecdotes were great, and the attitude towards her life was refreshing. If I had one complaint about this book, it is that I was hoping for more depth. I think the depth might have been there, but I lost track of it with all the fun I was having.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.