Pedro Plassen's Reviews > Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration of the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation and Time Travel

Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku

1203222
Nov 14, 09

bookshelves: science
Read in November, 2009

The author starts by picking sci-fi technology from Star Wars, Star Trek, etc and figuring how soon humankind will have access to them, based on the actual knowledge on physics. He goes on to classify them into 3 classes of impossibilities (I - understandable through the current physic theories, therefore achievable in a century or two; II - on the verge of our currently knowledge of physics, so achievable in centuries or millenia and finally III - imply a rewriting of the current known law of physics).

At first I wasn't too enthusiastic with the explanations provided with force fields, invisibility and phasers but when he jumps into physics that involve our Universes and knowledge of space and time...woosh! Great reading on explanations about how the Universe began, what was before, what's beyond it; the possibility of multiple Universes; how time travel might be accomplished and the faster-than-light concept. All explained clearly for someone without previous knowledge on the matter.
PS. Kiwis are from New Zealand, not Australia.
PPS. First book read on Kindle: device approved.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Physics of the Impossible.