Erik's Reviews > The Feast of Love

The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

Nov 03, 09

Read in November, 2009

First off, let me say that the title seems at bit misleading to me. So if you're thinking of reading it based on that, read some more reviews and change your expectations. It makes sense in that it refers to a painting in the novel and what the artist intended with his painting. It's not much of a feel-good novel, and I don't think it fully explores all sides of love as some of the reviewers claim. In fact, there seemed to be too much of the ugly side of love in this novel, and a few times it left me feeling a bit 'blah'.

However, I did stay interested in the story and characters. It was quite insightful in many places and there were a few redeeming instances of love to be found. The biggest problem I had, at least at first, was that the story was told by the characters themselves and their narratives were so in-depth, descriptive, and profound that they rang a bit untrue. The narrative of the young girl didn't seem very real at all, almost reaching. I think this quality, and maybe my own expectations, kept this from getting a four-star review from me. Still, I'll probably be reading more of Baxter's work in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Feast of Love.