Sera's Reviews > The First World War

The First World War by John Keegan

Aug 03, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, own
Recommended to Sera by: The History Book Club
Recommended for: WWI and history fans
Read from May 10 to August 02, 2010, read count: 1

This book is jammed packed with information about the military strategy of WWI. Keegan also rounds out his narrative with an analysis of what led to the outbreak of the war, to a description of the nature of a number of its military leaders, to how it all ended and what the state of the world looked like post-war. This book is a dense read, and I found needed to be read in small doses, because it was full of so much information.

Keegan knows what he's talking about here, but the maps are difficult to understand, which is a shame, because they are critical in understanding what happened here. I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me, but he also has a British slant to this work, which is interesting, because Keegan fails to spend much time on the involvement of America - even though he does credit its entry in the war as a key factor in bringing the war to its end.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in history. WWI is my favorite part of history, because it is the game changer that sets up what happens in most of the world thereafter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First World War.

04/02/2010 page 1
0.21% "After reading about WWII, I'm going back to war that lead to it - WWI, of course."
04/02/2010 page 1
0.21% "I meant "led" to it. Baby hit the keyboard :)" 2 comments
05/05/2010 page 91
19.16% "Excellent so far."
07/05/2010 page 174
37.0% "Dense military history but interesting."
07/25/2010 page 254
53.0% "Lots of great information in this one."
07/31/2010 page 390
82.0% "Continues to be compelling."