Maria's Reviews > Following the Equator: A Journey Around the World

Following the Equator by Mark Twain

Oct 11, 10

bookshelves: humorous
Read from September 17 to October 11, 2010, read count: 1

As usual, a highly entertaining account of Twain travels. This time he travels through the Pacific - Australia, New Zealand, India, Africa mainly - with stops at various islands and smaller countries. The chapters on India were disturbing, detailing murder and suicide in the late 19th century there. My India history is somewhat vague. I had a general idea but the specifics were hard to take. Also hard to take were all of the chapters dealing with the white man's subjugation of black natives - Australia, New Zealand, etc. The highlight of the book for me was the chapter headings with one entry from Puddn'head Wilson's New Calendar for each. I also appreciated that this book puts to rest forever as far as I'm concerned how Twain really felt about blacks and slavery, i.e., his earlier books were in no way intended to denigrate blacks or uphold slavery, which he hated in spite of having grown up with it as an accepted fact. Wonderful book.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Following the Equator.