Anita's Reviews > Shalador's Lady

Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop

Mar 27, 10

bookshelves: library, laugh-out-loud-funny, paranormal-romance, fantasy-traditional
Read in March, 2010

I LOVE this series. This is book 8 of the Black Jewels series, and I don't recommend jumping in here. Start with book one. What makes this series so enjoyable for me is understanding the relationships between characters - that depth makes me feel like I am in the world Ms. Bishop describes. It's a world where people travel through 3 dimensions, and where magical people can become vampires or demon-dead, without losing their wits and manners. Magic is used in place of electricity, and the feudal structure of society is blended with an early industrial feel.

This particular volume was a little heavy on some of the conventions Ms. Bishop uses - the male/female roles were laid on pretty thick, and the Sheltie humor was kind of silly. Otherwise, I loved it.

This is part 2 of Lady Cassidy's rise to power in Dena Nehele. Just when things have started to look up, Kermilla, the bratty, selfish queen who stole her previous court shows up on her doorstep demanding money. Problem is, Theran immediately falls for Kermilla and invites her to stay indefinately, which she does. Cassidy and her loyal court members move the queen's court to another town while Theran does all he can to make Kermilla the next queen. It sounds very serious, but there are plenty of light scenes to balence the intrigue.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shalador's Lady.