Anita's Reviews > The Shadow Queen

The Shadow Queen by Anne Bishop

Oct 30, 2009

bookshelves: laugh-out-loud-funny, five-star-favorites, paranormal-romance, fantasy-traditional
Read in December, 2009

Book 7 in the Black Jewels traditional fantasy series, this story would not make much sense out of order, so I highly recommend reading these in the correct sequence. This story is set two years after the end of book three (when Janelle unleashes her full power to eradicate all the bad Blood.) It also takes place a couple hundred years after book 4, where we learned the story of Lia and Jared. The setting is the same land that Lia ruled - Dena Nehele - but the bad Blood who ruled the land for the last couple hundred years nearly destroyed it. Between the horrors inflicted by the bad Blood, the killing of the bad Blood by Janelle, and the year long war between the Landen (normal humans) and remaining Blood (magic users), there are no queens left that could lead the land.

Theran, Lia's last remaining descendant, is desperate for help, so he goes to Daemon to cash in a favor owed to his grandfather, Jared. Daemon and Janelle find a queen for Dena Nehele (Cassidy), but it's not the queen Theran wanted or expected. Most of the story shows Cassidy's struggle to gain the respect of her new people. There are also plenty of side stories interwoven, so you spend nearly half of the pages with Janelle, Lucivar, Daemon, and Saetan. There are also some laugh-out-loud moments involving kindred (magic using, highly intelligent animals.)

This is one of those series that suck you into its world - you end up caring about the characters long after you put the book down. I'm generally an urban fantasy fan, but this traditional fantasy series is one of my favorites. I'm dying to read the next one, which is supposed to be a continuation of Cassidy's story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Queen.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I keep meaning to read more of this series - I've only read the original trilogy so far. I had no idea we were up to book 7! Which one is #4?

Anita Shannon wrote: "I keep meaning to read more of this series - I've only read the original trilogy so far. I had no idea we were up to book 7! Which one is #4?"

Book #4 is the Invisible Ring. Happy reading! Book 8 comes out in a few months.