Wicked Incognito Now's Reviews > Your Roots Are Showing

Your Roots Are Showing by Elise Chidley

Oct 31, 09

liked it
Read in October, 2009

This is a chick/lit type book. Not standard to the romance genre, because the love interest is unclear, nor very much part of the story. This was like Bridget Jones after she already landed Mark Darcy, but more serious (and not as silly as the Carol Fields sequel to Bridget Jones).

I really liked this book, and the author's handling of the subject. I would've given it four stars, but I was SO irritated by how the whole thing ended....I feel myself just so disappointed.

More on that later.

The feelings and issues this mother/wife were going through as she dealt with the break-up of her marriage, were realistic and emotionally-wrought. I felt like laying down and crying myself while reading this. I felt her despair so acutely. I even found myself angry at my own husband, because these issues are so universal and so often unacknowledged. We all go around trying so hard not to admit that everything isn't always perfect.

So, I read this book compulsively. I even skipped out on a committment because I just couldn't put it down. The writing really is very well done, and I can't wait to read more from Elise Chidley.

HOWEVER the ending was wrapped up TOO TOO prettily. It ruined the entire effect of a novel full of realistic feelings. The lead character had VERY little actual interaction with her husband throughout the story, and it is just so darn unrealistic for them never to communicate at all. In real life, resolution is impossible without some serious hardwork acknowledgment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Roots Are Showing.