Christy Stewart's Reviews > The Purity Myth: How America's Obsession with Virginity Is Hurting Young Women

The Purity Myth by Jessica Valenti

Oct 29, 09

bookshelves: feminism, history, nonfiction, philosophy, politics, reference, religion, female-authors, sociology, gender-studies, reviewed
Read in October, 2009 — I own a copy

Reading the book was like being lifted of a burden because with every chapter I was SO relieved that what I felt helpless to argue about anymore was covered so succinctly and eloquently in this book. I don't tend to like to read nonfiction books I agree with (because what's the point? I might as well sit in the bathroom and talk into the mirror) but I've never been more pleased to agree with a book in my life, if someone asked me what I felt about feminism and/or sexuality I could hand them this book and say 'This is what I think.'

I didn't read the book expecting to have this reaction to it. As a virgin myself I expected more of the 'progressive' material that would advice me to liberate myself and give it up, but the book wasn't at all judgmental of women who make the independent and mature decision of virginity.

I’d like to end by further complimenting the author on the section on gender issues. I feel deeply and postulate loudly (to my TV) about how gender expectations are becoming detrimental to not only women but men as well. I would recommend that section to men, if the hymen stuff bores them too early on.
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Purity Myth.

Linds This looks to be an interesting read, I just read her book she's a slut, he's a stud and enjoyed it very much.