Corinne's Reviews > The Foundling

The Foundling by Georgette Heyer

Oct 29, 09

bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in October, 2009

It is hard to be a rich and powerful Duke, especially when you are 24 and treated like a child. Gilly, the Duke of Sale, finally had his fill of over protection and coddling - and as soon as an opportunity for excitement presented itself, he grabbed it and ran. In this story, he stumbles into all sorts of scrapes and causes all kinds of anxiousness among the throngs of folks who had been watching out for him. Part soap-opera and part temerarious adventure, The Foundling doesn't take you where you expect it to.

Which is why I had to put it down mid-way through. I'm SORRY, I'm sorry. I know Georgette Heyer is supposed to be amazing, which is why I won't give up on her after this one. The writing is great, I loved how we kept switching from point of view to point of view to get the story from different angles. I think my problem was expectations - I was looking for romance and this is definitely more of a Wilkie-Collins-esq crime story than a romantic tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Foundling.

message 1: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W But you liked The Woman in White so your abandonment of this book leaves me puzzled.

message 2: by Corinne (new) - added it

Corinne Like I said - it was my expectation! I was looking to read a romantic story (that's what Heyer is famous for, after all) and it wasn't what I wanted! I just grabbed the wrong Heyer to try. A couple weeks later I read Cotillion and loved it. Not only that, the Woman in White had a romantic thread running all throughout and The Foundling did not :) To be honest, I don't always need to have some romance, but it does tend to speed along the plot for me :)