Diandra's Reviews > A Gate at the Stairs

A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore

Nov 02, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in November, 2009

About a week before this book was released I read a little New York Times piece about the author and her journey writing this book. She stated (somewhere in the middle of the interview) that she cried the whole time while writing this book. And, although, I definitely believe Moore captured the thoughts and mechanics of a 20 year old college student, beautifully and with an adept amount of melancholy- I can't surmise this book as being about sadness or misery (which was pretty much the gist of the article- as well as other reviews I've read about this book). The book tackles some hard social themes (racism! adoption! terrorism! war!) but in the end I found it was more about hope. Everyone's stupid at the age of 20. Everyone feels inadequate. And, if you don't admit it, you're lying to yourself. I hated 20. But watching Tassie grow as an individual, and realizing that she has so much to learn- and accepts it, was uplifting. Tassie doesn't whine. Tassie doesn't focus on the negative, and Moore does such a brilliant job of creating such a lovely character, that the reader never feels sorry for her. I loved this book because of the strong female characters, Tassie, Sarah, Murph, even Tassie's mother Gail, were all independent women. They thought for themselves, and for this reason alone, this book is a brilliant (although, there is sooooooooooo much more to it).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gate at the Stairs.