Julia's Reviews > A Change in Altitude

A Change in Altitude by Anita Shreve

Nov 14, 2009

Read in November, 2009

I have read all of Shreve's books & at this point will keep looking for her latest novel. In this story, a young couple moves to Kenya for a period of time while Patrick does research & practices on equatorial medicine, Margaret finds work as a photojournalist.

They agree to climb Mt. Kenya with 2 other couples, one of which they don't necessarily have anything in common with. They themselves have no moutain climbing experience, which immediately set off alarms in my head. A terrible thing happens on the expedition and Margaret spends the following year feeling guilty and partly responsible for the accident. As a result, they both struggle to understand what happened on that mountain and how it has changed their marriage and lives, perhaps forever. The story ended without a conclusion. It completely left me hanging. But that is O.K. I don't necessarily like when books are neatly tied up at the end. I will spend the next couple of days finishing this story in my head. It could have many diffent endings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Change in Altitude.