NSAndrew Liebergen's Reviews > Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World

Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and... by Katherine Hannigan

Oct 29, 2009

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read in October, 2009

book on CD

This was a fun and humorous look at a 9 year old girl’s adventures through an apple orchard in Wisconsin, my home state. The book had real meaning for me, because I was familiar with the smells and sights of the scenes in the book.
It is a sentimental book, with some melodrama in it. It is a book about change and how to overcome it. This would be a great book for students going through illness of a loved one. Yet the book is light hearted and easy to read, never becoming too dark or morose. It is more deliberate and determined in its portrayal of Ida B.
The author wrote in a very descriptive manner. The reader could actually feel and hear the sounds in the scene as she wrote. Her writing was almost like a song in its poetic nature. I like the fact that Hannigan writes of serious issues, but doesn’t become sickenly sweet at the end. I like that she leaves events and relationships a little open and unfinished. Being that this is a children’s book, Hannigan does end the book on a more inspirational note of seeking out dreams and following them with the help of others. It’s a warm fuzzy book, discussing more serious situations. It would be very appropriate for older elementary school students. I especially think boys might hook into some of the activities and situations of Ida B.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ida B. . . and Her Plans to Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster, and (Possibly) Save the World.

Ruth What a nice discussion of this book! What are your thoughts on the audio format of this book? How did it affect your interactions with the text?

NSAndrew Liebergen This was a great book to talk about in class. I don't think too many people in the class read it. I am going to give it to my 6th grade daughter over the break and have her read it and let her give me a book update. She has read most of the books in this course. One of her favorites was Fever as well. I guess good tastes runs in the family.

I like books on audio. I come from a theater background, so they are very theatrical in nature. I drive alot, so it is a great way to read. I always have one in my truck.