Mishel Zabala's Reviews > Kissing Games of the World: A Novel

Kissing Games of the World by Sandi Kahn Shelton

Jan 01, 10

bookshelves: for-review
Read in November, 2009

KISSING GAMES OF THE WORLD is filled with unique and unforgettable characters. and Shelton's writing is different than anything I've read before. She doesn't do anything especially different, its just the reading experience wasn't typical for me, which is a good thing in this case. It's a "butting-of-the-heads" type of romance, with life-long lessons intertwined within the pages.

Nate Goddard returns home to reclaim his son and settle his father's estate after Harris' untimely death. It's there he meets his father's housemate, Jamie McClintock. Jamie is a somewhat struggling artist who is entirely devoted to her asthmatic son Arley. Those who were closest to Harris know of his handsome devilish ways with the ladies despite his old age. Not many people are really going for the image that Jamie and him were just housemates.

Jamie knows the truth though, and despite a quite incriminating scene when Harris dies she sticks to her guns about how she and Harris were strictly friends, although they were close. Jamie cared about Harris and his grandson Christopher. In the year that she and her son have stayed with Harris, they have all gotten quite close.

Nate is a smooth charismatic guy with a past he'd soon like to forget. Family troubles galore seems to be his speciality. But he rushes home to reclaim Christopher after finding out about Harris' death. He's sure the five-year-old will warm up to him quickly, along with the idea of traveling around the country to business meetings and riding airplanes all the time. It's a guy thing surely! He's even got a step-mom lined up for him. Sure Nate my not see her for weeks at a time. But they could be one big, if not sometimes cold, family, right?

Altough the two of them couldn't be more terrible together, they develop and grow into characters that seem to be made for each other towards the end of the book. I found myself hating them both at times and then warming up to them soon after that. Nate and Jamie are just so real and written so well. Nate is hard-headed, stubborn, and completely broken inside. Jamie is lost at times yet so strong-willed. Even the children depicted so well that some readers may know children just like them.

I thoroughly enjoyed KISSING GAMES OF THE WORLD. It was funny at times yet filled with sad moments that were all wrapped up in clarity and a well-written storytelling style. I'll be checking out more of Sandi Kahn Shelton's work and encourage you to do the same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing Games of the World.

10/29/2009 page 19