Magda's Reviews > Sputnik Sweetheart

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami

Nov 04, 09

bookshelves: books-and-beers-club
Read in November, 2009

As if this weren’t enough, Sumire was dead set on creating a massive nineteenth-century-style Total Novel, the kind of portmanteau packed with every possible phenomenon in order to capture the soul and human destiny.

Miu popped an olive into her mouth, grasped the pit with her fingers, and, like a poet getting the punctuation just right, gracefully discarded it in an ashtray.

‘And it came to me then. That we were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits. From far off they look like beautiful shooting stars, but in reality they’re nothing more than prisons, where each of us is locked up alone, going nowhere. When the orbits of these two satellites of ours happened to cross paths, we could be together. Maybe even open our hearts to each other. But that was only for the briefest moment. In the next instant we’d be in absolute solitude. Until we burned up and became nothing.’

When I didn’t understand something, I gathered up the words scattered at my feet, and lined them up into sentences.

Her chest tightened at the beauty of it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sputnik Sweetheart.