LARRY's Reviews > The Beach House

Apr 25, 07

bookshelves: whodunit
Read in March, 2007

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

This is my first book that I've read of Patterson's. I saw his list of books and found it interesting that he co-writes with other authors. However, it doesn't seem to be a bad idea. With *The Beach House*, I found it to be interesting how fast you can read through a book with small chapters. It turned out not to be such a bad idea.

Peter Mullen is found dead at the beach in the Hamptons. The officials in the town are calling it a suicide. However, Jack, the older brother who is studying law, believes it was murder. One, Peter was an expert swimmer and knew the "laws" of the ocean. Two, when Jack saw Peter's body, he was covered in bruises. Three, a competent coroner who did the autopsy confirmed that Peter did not drown.

However, none of the officials agree with Jack and still claim that Peter had committed suicide. Meanwhile, Jack gradually builds up a team of people who agree with the fact that Peter was murdered. Of course, the tide turns and everyone starts to say that Peter suicided. Just who or what has made these people changed their minds?

Jack and a few people (his grandfather, his new girlfriend...) seem to be losing the battle. All seems lost when the court rules Peter's death as suicide. That is when Jack and his people become desperate. They hold their own televised court when they come across some incriminating evidence.

Do the rich really buy their way out of crime? Can they buy "facts" or have them altered and get away with it? Do the rich really control the courts? Jack and his people are rich but they aren't poor. Can they be bought out?

The question is which ruling will the general public and the courts uphold? The original court's ruling or the "kangaroo" court's ruling?

*The Beach House* is an interesting story about how the court and the rich cornering a man when he'll have no choice but to fight back like a feral animal. And when he does, all hell breaks loose.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beach House.

03/29 marked as: read

message 1: by Valeria (new)

Valeria Um are you reading the wrong book? That's not what I read.

message 2: by Valeria (new)

Valeria LOL my bad. I meant beach road.

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Larry, all of Patterson's books are fast reads and have a great story behind them. I suggest his Alex Cross series;those are what got me hooked on him. Haven't been disappointed after 8+ years of reading him!

message 4: by Gjaerye (new)

Gjaerye I agree with Donna, not much a fan of reading until I came across the Alex cross series and could stop turning pages, that's actually what got me into reading books for fun

message 5: by Melanie (new) - added it

Melanie Donna I agree, his Alex Cross series is what got me into his books and I wish he would write more of them for the series!