Krystle's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Jun 08, 11

Read in November, 2009

Update (6/8/11): Re-read it and my thoughts are the same. Just awesome book with some of the most beautiful prose. That final 200 pages or so are crazy. You won't be able to put it down. Now I can't wait to read the sequel!

I haven’t picked up a book involving dragons for quite a while – years practically. And as soon as I saw this appear on the lists of upcoming books to be published I immediately marked it down on my to-read list. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn was a fantastic book. I loved it so much!

Allison Goodman’s prose is so beautiful; deep, intricate, and colorful. Her world building and magic system was full of tiny details and nuances that made it come to life. But the best part of it all was that it never felt like a huge info-dump, which is a problem many fantasy writers have. You are not subjected to ten different names of objects, people, places, and what have you right off the bat, and instead it’s gradually incorporated in a non-intrusive way.

Eon, or Eona rather, is a wonderfully rounded and well developed character. While she’s not considered a traditional “strong” character due to her lack of physical strength, it’s her tenacity to overcome obstacles and see things through to the end that make her shine. But not only that she doesn’t come without her faults. She’s headstrong, impatient, and quick in her conclusions and she actually suffers for them, which many other authors fail to oversee.

I loved how the story was based off of ancient mythology, culture, and beliefs from East Asia. I’m born in the Year of the Dragon, which is the Mirror Dragon in this novel, and felt quite giddy about reading it. The plot twists are actually pretty predictable but you’re so engrossed by the story you don’t notice.

Sure there are some problems with Eon, just like every book has – hers being that the pacing was pretty slow in the beginning, and there is a reliance on some words quite a bit heavily more than others, but not in a way that would effect your enjoyment of the reading – to me anyway. (Wow, was that a long sentence, or what?)

Awesome book! I can’t wait to read the next one!
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

06/07/2011 page 74
14.0% "Reading this again before I start on Eona."
06/08/2011 page 238
44.0% "Ah, this is just as good as I remember. <3."