LARRY's Reviews > Growing Up Latino

Jun 13, 07

bookshelves: ficcion, la_raza
Read in January, 2007

As posted in [http://www.amazon.com]:

I really don't know what to make of *Growing Up Latino*. I mean, I did enjoy the book. I laughed, nodded and groaned with memories of my Hispanic background as I read the stories. However, I was surprised at excerpted stories in this book by other well known Hispanic authors.

Oscar "Zeta" Acosta's "The Autobiography of a Brown Buffalo" and Jose Antonio Villarreal's "Pocho" are a couple of examples where an excerpt of their stories are in this book. So, it made me wonder just how many other works in this book were also excerpts.

To me, there were lots of other wonderful stories by well known authors, such as Sandra Cisneros, Richard Rodriguez, Gloria Anzaldua, Rudolfo A. Anaya and many more. Each of them were unique with the topics they've chosen as well as their writing styles.

There were many topics covered in the stories. However, just about almost everyone had a similar experience. Topics covered death, education, religion, Spanish, English, gringos, food, social norms and many more. Experiences were similar when it came to social norms, teachers, Catholic schools, pronunciation of names and the like. I could relate to some of them, which made some stories more cherished than others. There were a couple of stories that I just could not "get it".

Nonetheless, it was a good read. I just wished that there were no excerpted stories. Excerpted stories feel abrupted and it's mainly because you're only read a sample. Regardless, I will recommend my friends to read this book, along with an explanation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Up Latino.