Grace's Reviews > Dragon's Bait

Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde

May 27, 12

bookshelves: best-beloved-books, fantasy-or-syfy
Read on May 25, 2012, read count: 2

Alys’s life isn’t easy, even before being accused of witchcraft. Her father is ill and they’re barely scraping by. Almost happening to fast to comprehend, Alys suddenly finds herself tied to a pole as a sacrifice to a dragon.

Well. While a good deal predictable (but that might be just because I read it a while ago), this was still a good read. Poor Alys was easy to relate to and Selendrile was beautifully, mysteriously frustrating. Velde has a dry sense of humor that’s reflected through Alys and this was a quick, enjoyable read. Light, even with the darker accent since revenge was the theme.

Would I recommend it? Yes. It’s a good summer read.

Warnings/head’s up/what’s in this book - corrupt priests/officials of the Christian faith, mentioning of witchcraft and burning at a stake or drowning, PG violence, a guy and a girl share a bed (though they’re pretending to be brothers and nothing happens anyway), a revenge theme and a nude character (G rated nudity, as it doesn’t get into descriptions other than Alys averting her eyes). Nothing that would make this a movie rated PG-13, I think. I had no issues with it, minus the one I had as well in The Hob's Bargain: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... But the romance was only hinted at, so it's not that big a deal.

(Now that I’ve given my more mature, calm review… WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT ENDING?! There has to be a second book! It was perfectly set up for a second book! I cannot believe there’s not a second book! *flips out*)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragon's Bait.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Miss Clark Isn't this one just amazing? I wish it had been twice as long though for more character interaction!

message 2: by Grace (last edited May 25, 2012 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Grace I know, right? Especially with the ending!!!

Miss Clark Exactly!