The Library Lady's Reviews > There Was An Old Monster!

There Was An Old Monster! by Rebecca Emberley

Oct 28, 09

I am NOT impressed by this book.
It's nice of the Emberleys to give their daughter/granddaughter some exposure by having her do a "song" of this book. And since I found the rhythm of this story unworkable to the traditional tune, I downloaded the "song".

I say "song" loosely--this is a rap and the "music" is just percussion. Not exactly high art that ought to advance Adrian Emberley's music career--if she can sing or play anything but a steady percussion beat--and my 10 year old can do that by setting her basic Yamaha keyboard up to do a backbeat-- it's not shown here.

Get back to the book. It's got nice pictures--of course, it's from the Emberleys. The prose can be MADE to flow by changing the words here or there. And it's fun prose--the "scritch scratch" bit is great.

But there are other"Was An Old Lady" piggybacks (that's the professional term for this sort of thing, folks) that really capture the rhyme and can be sung without a drum machine.

And it's disappointing to see Ed and Rebecca Emberley do less than their best.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Was An Old Monster!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alia (new)

Alia I pulled that book for my monster program and ended up not using it because I had the same problem, I couldn't figure out how the words fit the traditional tune. One of the kids ended up checking it out at the end of the program because he liked the pictures but I have to say, Go Away Big Green Monster was much easier to use and the kids got more excited about it.