Carrie's Reviews > I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class... by Josh Lieb

Mar 26, 10

bookshelves: z-2010, outcasts, reluctant-reader, superheroes, y-fiction, funny-teen
Read in January, 2010

By all appearances, Oliver is the dumbest, fattest kid in his class, too unpopular to win a middle school election. That’s just a façade, he’s really an evil genius, the fifth richest man in the world, and capable of orchestrating elaborate schemes from the confines of his blimp (as it floats over the skies of Omaha.) If anyone is capable of winning an election to win his father’s approval, it should be Oliver. Right?

Think Stewie Griffin, but not as funny, because Oliver’s head isn’t shaped like a football. Or something like that. A lot of humor skews more towards an early college crowd – Nietzsche jokes, references to Gravity’s Rainbow, commentary on the democratic process, etc, but a secret middle school genius exacting revenge on his classmates and teacher should appeal to a middle-school / early high school crowd. Overall, it was kind of funny, but not hilarious, and the ending didn’t work for me.

Also, there are footnotes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President.