Lisa's Reviews > My Enemy's Cradle

My Enemy's Cradle by Sara Young

Oct 28, 2009

bookshelves: book-group, adoption
Read in October, 2009

A very memorable story of young ladies and how they suffered during WWII. They weren't put in concentration camps, but they were victims of cruelty just the same. The author uses the backdrop of Hitler's maternity homes as she paints the story of one girl's search for safety during the war.

I enjoyed this book because it's a very interesting plot line that keeps you constantly on your toes as you read it. And the author does a wonderful job developing the characters, peeling away layer after layer as you get to know them better. The heartbreak they face is so easy to feel, and it's a good reminder of how human cruelty has such a profound impact on so many lives.

Get ready to be surprised as you read the book. And get ready to have it touch your heart. How can you not be disturbed as you learn the truth about how the Nazi's stole children from their mothers? And during a time of war and hunger, it is sad to think that women found a safe haven by producing babies that would be taken away from them. It's another very dark side of the Nazi regime.

And as an adoptive mom of a child who lived in an orphanage as an infant, it was extremely sad to read about how the Germans placed these children in orphanages for the first few months of their lives before placing them with "adoptive" families. They didn't realize (or didn't care) about the emotional damage they did to the kids by not placing them right away with families.

Thanks go to my friend Debbie for loaning me this book! (And finally finding a book we both like!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Enemy's Cradle.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Romero OMG, a book you both liked, this I gotta read!! ;o)