Kathryn's Reviews > Meredith, the Witch Who Wasn't

Meredith, the Witch Who Wasn't by Dorothea Lachner

Oct 28, 09

bookshelves: autumn-halloween-thanksgiving, childrens-picture-books
Read in October, 2009

I really enjoyed this book! It is delightful and refreshingly "different" from the standard Halloween offerings. Part of this is probably because it was originally published in Switzerland (though I admit that Meredith reminded me a bit more of a cute Norwegian troll than anything Swiss!) The illustrations are warm and fun and interesting (I really applaud kids books with INTERESTING illustrations!) -- be sure to watch for the cute blue polkadot cat in most of the pictures (yup, a blue cat with white polkadots, swwweeeeet!) The story is thoughtful and has a great message without being over-the-top. For Meredith is a witch, but she doesn't like to do magic--it's so much more fun and rewarding to grow her own food, clean her house, and walk on her own two feet than use spells and flying broomsticks all the time. But when she must go to test for her witch certification, what will she do? She is so rusty with her magic! The ending is wonderful.

Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Meredith, the Witch Who Wasn't.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (last edited Oct 28, 2009 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn Only three Meredith books, so far as I know (or, at least, that has been published in English) but the author has done several other non-Meredith books. I'm hoping my library has them! :-)

Kathryn Yay!!!