Aaron's Reviews > The Writer's Journey: Mythic Structure for Writers

The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler

M 50x66
Apr 17, 07

Recommended for: Writers

Ostensibly a guide for screenwriters, but unlike most other books aimed at that market, it doesn't offer much in the way of specific techniques and guidelines. Rather, it's a readable distillation of Joseph Campbell's work on mythic storytelling, using examples from well-known movies. Vogler recognizes that there is no single fixed formula for a good story. The book is presented as a way of looking at and thinking about story elements in ways that will connect with an audience.

Like most books of this nature, in a practical sense it's more useful as a guide for criticism than for story development. It also fails to provide as many examples as it should -- reading a page of text on some character archetype with no illustrations from classic stories is like reading a history book with no references. However, there's something about this book that seems to get my creative juices flowing. I can almost always count on being inspired with a good idea or fix for my own stories after reading a chapter, even if it's not directly related.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Writer's Journey.