Bookaholics's Reviews > Possess Me at Midnight

Apr 18, 10

Possess Me at Midnight (The Doomsday Brethren, Book 3) by Shayla Black
Paranormal Romance- October 29th, 2009
5 stars

This book was all I expected and MORE. Shayla Black really delivers the goods in her 3rd installment of the Doomsday Brethren. Although this series is very complex Shayla Black's clear writing catches your attention and keeps it! As soon as I began reading, I easily felt a part of the story. However, since there are an impressive list of characters and more being added in this latest book, new readers might want to read one of the prior books to help orient themselves first.

In this story the smoldering and forbidden passion between Sabelle and Ice is finally realized! And the interaction between the 2 is a sheer adrenaline rush !

Shayla Black does a magnificent job of creating a sympathetic hero with a dark past. Ice is a Deprived male and as such viewed as expendable even as he helps the Doomsday cause. Ice was especially vilified when he went on a killing rampage after his sister was murdered. I really admired Ice. As I came to understand him and sympathize the strong and fierce warrior he has become. Ice is honorable and misunderstood and driven to claim Sabelle even as he tries to protect her from his `tainted' origins. Torn between the overwhelming mating urge that knows she is the only one for him and trying to keep her safe Ice is the perfect tortured hero. Sigh!

Sabelle tries to fight against the deep attraction for Ice because any real connection to him is futile since she is promised to a Privileged male. It was great to read as Sabelle `grew up' and started to think about what she wanted besides her brother's wishes for political gain. She had to take the leap to trust and open herself to Ice. The only frustrating section for me is that Sabelle took so long to `surrender' to Ice. Really, why resist?!

We also find Bram overcome by a debilitating and lethal disease and Shayla Black reveals a dark side to Bram that was disturbing. Lucan is trying to recover from his severed bond with Anka but she keeps reappearing and tempting him. I was also tantalized by glimpses of Shock, the supposed enemy. He plays some key roles that made me wonder which side he really was on. And questions about the real powers of the Doomsday Diary and the murder/terrorizing of Council members are investigated. It is just too much tension. I can't wait until the next book! A whole year?! Please make it sooner!

Full of magic, intrigue and sexual tension this was an exhilarating read from start to finish!

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possess Me at Midnight.