Amanda's Reviews > Coming on Home Soon

Coming on Home Soon by Jacqueline Woodson

Oct 27, 2009

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in October, 2009

Summary: Coming on Home Soon is a book that is set in wartime. The women have to go to work while the men are away fighting for the country. Ada Ruth is left behind with her grandmother because her mother has to leave to work in Chicago. The story is about the strength this family has to keep going while waiting for the rest of the family come back. One day a kitten was scratching at the door and Ada began to feed the kitten some milk. The kitten keeps Ada company as she waits and waits from a letter from her mother to come. After a walk in the snow to try to find food, a letter finally comes from Ada’s mama. The letter has money and says that her mother will be coming home soon. Ada and her grandmother are now at peace knowing that the mother will be back soon.
Reflection:
This was a powerful book about the longing people felt for the ones they loved during war time. There was not much text on each page, but there was no need for a great deal of words. The picture were not only beautiful, but they were believable. The watercolor pictures were full of the emotion of the characters. It was clear to see how this time in history really brought people together as well as put a strain on the lives of all. Each part of text is fully supported by the illustrations I feel that this story could almost be told by looking at the pictures on their own. This book would be great to make inferences about that time period and why some things were the way they were, or about how the characters were feeling. I would recommend this book to be read to young students because with the support of the illustrations, the topic and emotions of the time were made clear.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming on Home Soon.

Valerie Hi Amanda! I read this story as well this week, but was left with some questions. Did you feel that J. Woodson should have included what war was being fought? Or do you think it was better left to inference on the readers part? I am trying to figure out my thoughts and was curious how you felt. I agree, though, the illustrations truly tell the story on their own, especially the one where Ada Ruth is laying on the floor as "time passes." Powerful, truly powerful!