Adam's Reviews > Captain Marvel: Secret Invasion

Nov 19, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: comics
Read in November, 2009

My only memory of Captain Marvel (the Marvel Comics version, not the Fawcett/DC version with the jaunty white cape over one shoulder) from my youth was seeing Jim Starlin's 1982 graphic novel The Death of Captain Marvel on the shelf at my local comic store and not purchasing it. He's almost completely a product of the '70s, and was never on my radar.

This mini-series from last year did little to change my feelings about Captain Marvel. For the most part, I found it uninteresting and plodding. Apparently Captain Marvel, whose real name is "Mar-Vell," is a member of the alien race the "Kree." He died of cancer and was buried on Titan, one of Saturn's moons. In this mini-series, there's an accident in the negative zone, and Captain Marvel travels in time from before he was dead to after he was dead, to the present day. Or something. His return seems to have a profound impact on the people of earth. All of New York City recognizes him instantly. They must all be Marvel Comics fans over the age of 45. Personally, if Captain Marvel landed in Manhattan my first thought would be, "Who is that guy? He sure does look like a Mod Hair Ken doll."

If the Kree-Skrull War of the early '70s was a deeply meaningful event for you, you might enjoy this book. I, on the other hand, find Skrulls idiotic and so far am not really enjoying Marvel's whole "Secret Invasion" event.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Captain Marvel.

11/17/2009 page 58
40.28% "This takes place in an alternate reality in which the people of earth are not only able to recognize Mar-Vell but also care that he's back."