MikeS's Reviews > Mercy Thompson: Homecoming

Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs

Oct 27, 09

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, graphic-novel, quickreads
Read in October, 2009

Many of you know of my Mercy Thompson obsession. Many have shared excitement and others have expressed concern. The reason I share this is because Patricia Briggs’ recent addition to the Mercy world comes in the form of a graphic novel. Now, given my penchant for über nerdery, I can tell you that this is a dangerous combination. Dangerous – not because it might disappoint (Mercy? Graphic Novel? Hello, my name is Mike) – but because there is now a literal visualization apart from the outstanding cover art of the books. All of the coolness that was previously limited to the minds of fangirls and fanboys has been unleashed. Beware.

My assessment: It’s great.

It is a very fast read (I think it took me twenty minutes… the, um, first time) and fits chronologically as a prequel to the Mercedes Thompson novels by introducing her to the Tri-Cities area, meeting Stefan and Adam, and working as a VW mechanic for Zee. Assuming that most readers will be from the Briggs fan club, this one doesn’t dwell too long on world details, but quickly moves along with the conflict that gets Mercy established in the setting that fans are already familiar with. The bulk of the story is focused on how all of the characters meet and is brought together with a little mystery and tussle with some renegade werewolves.

In my opinion it all comes out fine for being Briggs’ venture into graphic novels and for actually contributing some details to the series. Many negative reviewers are bent because they didn’t realize it was a graphic novel, which some don’t care for. If you are looking for a lot of detail and back story (i.e. a novel) then you will probably be disappointed. As a standalone graphic novel it might be a bit slight, but still enjoyable for the artwork and alternative angle on the urban fantasy. But, I really enjoyed the artwork and would recommend it to anyone interested in the series if only because it is such a quick read and looks sweet.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Thompson.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Sweet! Can't wait to read this.

Michelle Cool. I'm glad to hear it was a winner. I'm always nervous to see how the characters in my head look up against ones the author has in mind.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie *covet*

message 4: by Jon (last edited Oct 28, 2009 01:27PM) (new)

Jon So, this is a prequel? Should I still read the novels first or could I start here? You know I'd rather look at pictures than read words, so knowing if I gotta start with the hard stuff or if I can cut to the good stuff is important.

MikeS Holly - do it!
Michelle - I'm the same way. And some of the characters do look a bit different than I imagined (Stefan), but it wasn't disappointing for me.
Ang - Mwahahahaha!
Jon - Yes, prequel. If you read the books before this you won't be confused. Unless you can't read (in which case I recommend you just hold them for a while and think of something cool).