TK421's Reviews > A Choir of Ill Children

A Choir of Ill Children by Tom Piccirilli

Oct 11, 12

bookshelves: horror-thriller

I’m sure that your reading list is plenty long, but this book needs to be moved to the top of the pile. This book is not for the faint of heart, for it is quite challenging. Think William Faulkner mixed with Flannery O’Connor and you’ll get a pretty good picture at Piccirilli’s writing-style. The language of the novel is both horrifying and beautiful, and if you can keep from reading the same passages over and over, because of how he constructed and mixed seemingly disconnected words and images, I applaud you. Though only a bit over 200 pages, relish this novel in small doses, for it may be the best example of Southern Gothic literature today. Simply put: this novel will knock you down, help you back up, and knock you down again because it can. With all that being said, the novel is far from perfect. There are many what the fuck moments that are mated with the grotesque. Ultimately, this book evokes a feeling, an environmental response.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Choir of Ill Children.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Great review. Just moved it to the "on deck next" list.

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I'll move this up my list as well. Piccirilli's The Night Class was very good too.

TK421 Nancy and Stephen: For me, there are very few books that make such an incredible impression. I envy you both for not having read it. I look forward to what you both have to say about it.

Bark's Book Nonsense This book has been sitting on my shelf unread for years but it sounds like a book I'd love. There just aren't enough hours in the day, sigh.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Never heard of it but I'll have to try it now.

message 6: by James (new)

James Thane I just finished The Last Kind Words recently and enjoyed it. I'll look for this one.