Horizon's Reviews > The 13th Hour

The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch

Nov 08, 09

bookshelves: bob-in-petoskey-picks
Read in November, 2009

In a new twist to the time-tested time-traveler tale, Richard Doetsch takes us on a mind bending breakneck adventure of loss and betrayal, murder and thievery, love and redemption. Nick Quinn is thrust into a nightmare as a plane crashes near his home and then hours later he is arrested for the murder of his wife. A stranger offers him a pocket watch and the ability to travel back in time to stop the events leading to his wife's murder, but he will travel back one hour every 60 minutes. So at 8pm he will go back to 7pm, then when 8 rolls around again he will go back to 6, then at 7 he goes back to 5 and so forth. The intricate story line unfolds seamlessly as Nick stumbles across more of a mystery than he could ever have imagined. Nick discovers that every action could have countless unintended consequences; that even the smallest pebble will cause ripples when dropped in the pond. Doetsch balances the characters nicely as Nick learns more and each hour, but the characters he has met in the future are clueless as to what has transpired between Nick and themselves already, in Nick's time-line. Doetsch walks us through a potential minefield of plot issues without a misstep. I wonder if there will be more in Nicks future/ past? I look forward to it if there is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Hour.