Kylie's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Feb 24, 10

bookshelves: acquired-2009, sci-fi, read-2010, favourites
Recommended for: everyone
Read from February 17 to 18, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'll never be able to write a review to do justice to Flowers for Algernon, but I'll give it my rambling best.

This is an incredible story full of hope, sadness, anger and despair. It's a touching story about Charlie, a retarded man who yearns to be smart and to be able to read and write. He undergoes an experimental operation in an effort to become more like everyone else - the operation has been successfully performed in the past on a mouse named Algernon.

To travel with Charlie through his incredible journey is wonderful and heartbreaking, all at the same time. There are some lovely thoughts expressed throughout, along with one of the saddest quotes I've ever read (I don't have it with me so can't post it).

Despite the differences between myself and Charlie, I could identify with him in different ways, and recognised qualities of myself and my loved ones in him. He's a charming character.

I just cannot rate this book highly enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

02/17/2010 page 105
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca So can I ask, does he get smarter/learn to read and write?

Kylie Do you really want to know? I wouldn't like to spoil it for you, and it really is an awesome book!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca to be honest I always spoil books for myself by either checking the ending on wikipedia or skipping to the end...I can never handle the suspense....besides, i've read too many sad books lately and if this has a sad ending, i'd rather avoid it. Please by all means spoil it for me.

Kylie OK then...yes, he does get smarter and he learns much more than just reading and writing. But it does end very sadly (you'd need tissues), so maybe you shouldn't read it just yet.

message 5: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca ok, thanks! I'll put it on my to read list but won't read it till after a spate of happy books and before another selection of happy books.