Nate's Reviews > Serena

Serena by Ron Rash

Apr 12, 10

Read in November, 2009

I am now officially a huge Ron Rash fan. This novel is starker and less whimsical than Cold Mountain, but the Southern landscape of years ago (in this case the 1930s) is captured just as elegantly, and reminds us of what a wilderness the NC mtns were at that time. This is a beautifully rendered tale of greed, murder, and revenge. The symbolism is understated and the supporting characters are fascinating. I loved it.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Serena.

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lambert And I love you!

message 2: by Po (new)

Po I loved the review, and it makes me want to read the book very much...I loved the movie "Cold Mountain"...but I have never read the book....are you sure you don't want to become a book reviewer in your spare time? (what spare time you say?) therein lies the problem "-)

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lambert I think Nate is a born writer. Such a beautiful writer. Maybe you and Po could collaborate on a novel.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie Lambert I also loved the review and now want very much to read the book! No kidding Nate,you have very definite writing talents..I wonder if you could "moonlight" as a reviewer??? Love you, Mom