Lori's Reviews > The Good Soldiers

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel

May 23, 10

bookshelves: in-english, journalism, war
Recommended for: everybody, but especially Bush, Cheney, Obama, Biden, Gates & everybody at the Pentagon right now
Read in October, 2009

A sad book, but very powerful. An astounding piece of journalism that reads like the finest fiction. Everybody, but especially those people who make decisions about the war - any war - should read it.

I would also like to recommend it to all the students who were in my interactive design class, or were taking classes in my program between the spring of 2007 and the spring of 2008. Why? Here's the answer . (It's my extensive review of the book, but I feel this isn't the right place for it.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Soldiers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Meghan Thanks for sharing your connection to the book.

John your delivery of your extensive review is very engaging. thanks for sharing your vantage point. this extraordinary book hits even closer to home now.

message 3: by Bethany (last edited Dec 09, 2009 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bethany I enjoyed reading your extended review, Lori. It's very well written. When I was reading the book, I didn't realize the writer had a family and was risking his life. He doesn't write about himself in the book so you don't think about him. I am glad that he went home to his family and everything went well. I agree that the book is very well written. I had to read it for a class assignment and I could hardly put it down!

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank Gietz My name is SFC Gietz, Frank and wanted to take the time to thank everyone in behalf of all the soldiers who deployed with me during the surge. I have yet to read this book, but hear it is a great read for all. But what I really want to say is this war has not ended for some of us, we still are in the fight in war and at home. The book ends at Ft Riley, but fails to mention the fact that some of us had to escort the remains of our soldiers home to their parents. parents that we as leaders promised we would bring their sons home. So, to end I wish there was a happy ending and this would never have happened, I will always keep my men close to my heart and never forget that damn place!!!!