Rebecca's Reviews > The Martian Chronicles

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury

Oct 26, 2009

bookshelves: read-book-club
Read in October, 2009

Well, this book is a classic. I wish I could have read it in 1950 when all the imagination about the future was before us. But today, it is challenging to imagine because his guesses are so far from the known. Scientifically, we know Mars is uninhabitable and that computers - not radio - are a primary form of communication (!). Socially, we know that (legal) civil rights came only twenty years after the book's publishing, and that women and ethnic minorities are no longer in the background of our history.

With this, his stories were strange to read, some kind of limbo past/future that never happened.

Recommend reading this book differently, then. More as a social critique of America, a conversation about xenophobia and "otherness," and thoughtful about how we invade and recreate landscape. One can't help but sympathize with Spender in the end. If there were a real Mars and native, advanced Martian population today, would it play out much the same as it does in Bradbury's imagination?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian Chronicles.