Wsmah's Reviews > Shattering Glass

Shattering Glass by Gail Giles

U 50x66
Nov 07, 2009

Read in October, 2009

Summary:
This story is about the popular kids (Rob, Young, Bob, and Coop) trying to turn the “loser” (Simon Glass) of the school to be one of them, a popular kid. It’s like a challenge they want to accomplish, not because they like Simon Glass, just because it’s very challenging and they want to prove they have the power and can accomplish whatever they want, or at least that’s what Rob says.. Rob came into school with not much of a background, but no one ever asked about him because he was the hotshot of the school and he had the looks, so no one asked questions, they just followed what he said and did, and trusted him. Rob could charm anyone into anything; his smile would win anyone over. But, this story is from Young’s point of view, even though it’s about Rob’s challenge for them. Rob’s mission was to make the previous king of the school, Lance, into a laughing stock and the most hated student in school, and to make the loser of the school, Simon Glass, the favorite student in school. Young, Bob, and Coop, just played along because Rob said so. They didn’t really know what they really wanted. Throughout the whole story they realized Simon wasn’t who they thought he was, and later results in only punishment and consequences for every single one of them. Throughout the story there are quotes from the people in the story telling them how they felt or what they saw or their testimony. Rob is over confident and Young is willing to risk it all for Rob, so the challenge can be accomplished. Will they be able to?

I can relate to this story because it is all about high school and about the popular kids. I am in high school right now, and there are the popular kids that pick on the not so popular kids, and this book just tells the ugly truth about it all. Also, in my family I used to be the most important person. I party wouldn’t happen if I couldn’t make it, a party wouldn’t start if I wasn’t there, a conversation would never occur if I wasn’t there to start it, but I did one thing and it messed that all up. If you asked my family members what they thought about me before, they would say they all loved me, but if you ask them now, you would hear only stony replies and grim responses. That’s how it was in the story, everyone loved the popular kids, they followed them, they were the most important people, then BAM! They make a mistake and it’s all over for them, and people despise them more than anything else in the world.

Rating: 5/5 because this book was amazing. Gail Giles explains the inner workings of high school, and she shows you what reality is. This is realistic fiction, as sad as it may be, or as inhumane, it could very easily happen. She explains everything, and she lets you know what people thought about the convicts, or the guilty ones, and they got quotes from them. Also, I rate it a 5 out of 5 because it’s happy and perfect at one point, but it also let’s you know the horrible side of everything too. It’s a really good book because it shows you all the elements of life. It could have easily happened, and also because it’s about the popular kids. Most people think the popular kids have it all, that their lives are perfect, but they aren’t. They usually have more pressure and problems than anyone else, and this book shows you that. It tells you what their lives are like and what they have to deal with. I also love this book because it tells you opinions of people AFTER everything happened. That is really interesting to me because it ends dramatically. If it didn’t have those opinions before every chapter this book would be 5 out of 5 to 2 out of 5, that’s how important and interesting the opinions are.

Genre: Realistic Fiction
I recommend this book to anyone that likes the inner workings of things that seem perfect. Anyone that likes a story with an ugly truth, or something suspenseful and something that you think is hard to believe, but something that can really happen.

A favorite quote from the book/an interesting one: “Simon Glass was easy to hate. I never knew exactly why, there was too much to pick from. I guess, really, we each hated him for a different reason, but we didn’t realize it until the day we killed him.” (The first paragraph of the book)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattering Glass.

message 1: by Mr. (new)

Mr. Kasicki Awesome detail, Wsmah.