bup's Reviews > Some Experiences of an Irish R.M.

Some Experiences of an Irish R.M. by Edith Somerville

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, 2009, 1001, librivox, novel
Read in November, 2009

This is about the most agreeable, humorous novel from this time period, now considered a classic, you're likely to find.

Major Sinclair Yeates has the detached, slightly jaded air that makes the "fish out of water" (maybe not out of water - more like fish in slightly bracken water when he's a fresh water fish) tale hilarious in parts. It's a novel-length missive. It struck me as an unaired Britcom - in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out the BBC has made a series out of it. The 12 chapters each function as stories in their own right.

Mr. Minter's reading is excellent as always, so if you're inclined to do this as an audiobook, I recommend the free downloadable version at librivox.

(Incidentally, the book makes a quick snarky comment about The Swiss Family Robinson that will make me swear allegiance to this book no matter what bad reports you may bring me).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Experiences of an Irish R.M..

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Louise Culmer There was a TV series made about twenty years ago, I think it was Channel 4. It was quite good.