Rebecca McKinnon's Reviews > Heidi

Heidi by Johanna Spyri

Oct 28, 09

bookshelves: all-time-favorites

I'll never be able to say how much I love this book. I will say that because of it I had a "Heidi dress" when I was about seven (which I wore until it fell apart), and when I decided to start collecting a Christmas village I chose an Alpine Village. I want to live in this book.

I hadn't read this in a long time, and it was so fun to read it again! I love everything about it--the incredible descriptions, Heidi's excitement over everything from the opening flowers to the sound of the wind in the firs, the heartache when she thinks she can't go home. I still cry with and for her, even though I've read it more times than I can count.

The message that we get can gain so much happiness from the simple act of caring for those around us is such a great reminder for each of us to take the time to see the needs of those around us and do something to help them.

**rant** It really bugs me that with 221 editions of this book here, the one I wanted wasn't there. This is the closest, since my copy is an Illustrated Junior Library edition, but mine is the 1981 printing, with illustrations by William Sharp. And, of course, it's better than any of the others!! **rant over**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heidi.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christine I love this book too! (and I loved your Heidi dress) I need to re-read this book!