Lena's Reviews > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil: A Savannah Story

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Jul 08, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction

There was a lot of hype around this book a few years back, but in this case I think it is actually deserved. For one, Berendt is a skilled writer who understands how to tease a compelling story out of the material he’s working with. And, oh, what material! The true-crime mystery at the center of the book—whether the social-climbing, closeted gay antiques dealer shot his lover in cold blood or self-defense—is interesting enough, but Berendt decorates that story with outrageous character portraits of Savannah’s very oddball residents. Whether he’s discussing the quirky, old-South rituals of the Married Women’s Card Club or the disturbed local genius who may or may not be plotting to poison the town’s water supply, Berendt kept me so engaged I relished every moment.

Be wary of the movie version of Midnight, though. Good actors, bad adaptation. If you like the book, however, you may want to watch it just to see the notorious drag queen play herself. Sometimes, truth really is better than fiction.
36 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

Xysea I quite enjoyed the other one, too, the one about Florence, Italy.

I have both on my home shelf. :)

Lena I liked City of Fallen Angels as well, though not quite as much. Though the formula was essentially the same, I think it's hard to repeat the magic of this one.

KnowledgeGeek Your review is spot on. I love the book but the movie, although great actors were chosen, was quite awful.

Lena Thanks, Michelle. I know it's always risky watching the movie version, but I am still glad I saw Chablis.

message 5: by Ap (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ap I totally agree with you! I think it is so twisted that it makes the book that much more interesting!