Cecilia's Reviews > Nature Girl

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

Oct 11, 07

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: mystery fans/humor seekers
Read in January, 2007

I just love Hiaasen’s books. I’ve read almost all of them and I get quite excited when I hear about his next one coming out. Some are better than others and this one is pretty darn good. But regardless, his stories are always filled with plenty of humor and excitement, though not without losing sight of its roots as a mystery. This time, the “mystery” part deals with just one aspect of the story…Hiaasen’s stories are also usually chocked filled with many characters and many different subplots. The “mystery” in this case is the death of a tourist and a Native American who covers it up. The Indian did not kill the man, but he didn’t exactly go to the police either. I know – doesn’t sound like much of a mystery. But, they rarely are in Hiaasen’s novels. The mysteries (or lack there of) are similar to what director Alfred Hitchcock used to call “the MacGuffin,” which Hitchcock described as a mechanical element that serves as some sort of motivation. The mystery pushes the story along…who will find the body?….will the Indian be accused?…etc. But, the core of the book is the characters, most of whom have NOTHING to do with the mystery at the beginning of the book. As the book goes on, each of the subplots edge closer and closer to uncovering the mystery. But, the talent of Hiaasen shines since the mystery is not “solved” until all of the subplots converge.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nature Girl.