Martin Maher's Reviews > The Eyes of the Dragon

The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King

Nov 05, 2009

bookshelves: s-k-book-club, stephen-king, fantasy, 5-star, read-in-2009

`The eyes of the dragon`was a book that I read as part of a monthly read with the Stephen King group. I probably wouldn`t have read it otherwise, or at least till I read his other works first. But now I`m glad I did. I saw some negative reviews with regard to this book, & that is why I was I was a bit apprehensive. Now that I`ve finished the book, I must say that I really enjoyed it.
`
This is a fantasy story which tells of a king called Roland who is murdered by poison, & who`s oldest son Peter is believed to have done it due to some evidence found in his bedroom. His is convicted & sent to spend the rest of his life in a high tower. His younger brother Thomas then becomes king. Years pass by, but eventually the truth of the former king`s death come to light & the story takes off from there.

Although I really enjoyed the story, I can see how people would be disapponted with the book, especially Stephen King fans. Those who read his stories are used to stories which fall into the genre of horror, whereas this does not. I think that because it`s outside what he usually writes, they are disappointed with the read. There are some people who wish him to write the same thing over & over but with different titles. But for me, it`s because it`s different that I was drawn to the story. To me it shows how versatile King is as a writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyes of the Dragon.

10/26/2009 page 60