Lydia Presley's Reviews > The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

Oct 27, 09

bookshelves: fiction, historic-fiction, paranormal
Read in October, 2009

When I first started to read this book I fell into a bit of a trap. It felt magical - in a different sense then it ended up feeling.

Who wouldn't love the romance of an old home, complete with no electricity, an overgrown garden and the mysteries that it contained. Connie's story was an interesting one - and it tied in well with the flashbacks through history. Both stories had their moments of suspense and intrique. The bad guy in the modern day story, unfortunately, could be spotted very easily and it took some of the fun out of it for me.

Here is what kept this book from getting 5 stars from me:

About halfway through the book - maybe a bit further, the story went from an interesting fiction novel to more of a paranormal/science-fiction type story. Now, normally I love these stories, but I dislike having it sprung on me after I'd already become fairly entrenched in the historic aspect of the novel. But, this is personal preference.

I've mentioned the "bad guy" aspect. Honestly, I think the book could have done without the villain. There were enough bad guys.

The writing is musical and easy to read. However, I grew annoyed with the attempts made by the author to input the accent of the upper east into the conversations being held. It was great to read the old way of speaking in the historic story, not so great to read the "r's" constantly replaced by "ah's" in the newer story.

Overall, it was a fun read and not quite what I expected. I did get reasonably spooked out and it gave me some pretty funny dreams last night. It wasn't, however, one of those books I'll be reading again and again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

10/26/2009 page 124